MESSAGE - Pastor Dale Thiele
The Power of Grace
- The Heart Snared in Sin
- The Power of a Perfect Gift
- Transformed by the Implanted Word
Questions for Further Study or Group Discussion:
- Read James 1:12-21. The Greek word used for “trial” in verse 12 is the same Greek word used for “tempt” in verses 13 & 14. What do you think is the significance of this? How are trials and temptations linked?
- According to verses 14 & 15, how does temptation work? What does the “conception” and “birth” language convey? How does it help us understand the nature of temptation?
- James uses the same verb in verses 15 & 18 (“brings forth” & “brought forth”). What does this parallel teach us about how God redeems us from sin? How does God’s action in verse 18 connect with our responsibility in verse 21?
- Consider the reflection on page 3 from John Piper. How does the mind serve the heart? Why is this important in our battle against sin?
Memory Verse of the Week:
Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. (ESV)